The Community Engagement Scholars Course of Study (CESCS) is a four year, academic program that prepares students for life as engaged citizens. In the first year, scholars take two academic courses (SPPA100: Introduction to Civic Engagement, and UAPP110: Introduction to Public Policy). In the following years scholars participate in semester or summer-based immersion programs; service trips and volunteer opportunities. Scholars receive enhanced advising from the Community Engagement Initiative to integrate a community engagement focus into coursework, culminating in a capstone project with a community engagement focus. In the final year, scholars submit an ePortfolio to the Community Engagement Scholars Course of Study Faculty Review Board.
Community Engagement Scholars Course of Study Brochure
Community Engagement Newsletter Sign-Up
How can I become a Community Engagement Scholar?
There are two avenues for becoming a Community Engagement Scholar:
- Incoming first-year students are invited to apply shortly after they receive their UD acceptance letter. The application process is administered by Enrollment Services.
- Current students may apply to the Community Engagement Scholars program through the second semester of their sophomore year (though we suggest you do this as early as possible to make sure you can meet all the requirements).
- Interested students should email Susan Serra (email@example.com). The application includes an essay which describes how community engagement is connected to the applicant’s academic and career goals and identifies the core issue that will serve as the focus of the course of study. An unofficial transcript should be included.
- Current student applicants must have and maintain a 3.2 GPA and meet all course of study requirements. Courses taken prior to acceptance to the Community Engagement Scholars course of study may meet requirements, contingent upon approval of the Faculty Review Board.
- First year students may apply after completing one semester at UD.
- Application deadline is April 1; Notification is April 15.
- Sophomores may also apply in the fall.
- Application deadline is October 1; Notification is October 15.
- Application for current students.
The program is administered through the Community Engagement Initiative at the University of Delaware. Any questions about the program can be sent to BlueHensEngage@udel.edu.
Course of Study Requirements
Download the CE Scholars Planning document for the course of study requirements.
Download the Service Hours Form from the file section on Canvas
Download the Community Based Service Placement Contract.
This Page Last Modified On: